Citrus season is here and I’m in heaven! Over the weekend, Andrew and I sampled a billion and one different variations of oranges at our local farmer’s market and got a little (a lot) carried away filling up our basket. Oops! Thankfully, I had a few of my best girlfriends coming over for dinner the next day and this salad was the perfect side dish! It’s crisp, refreshing, light, fool proof and freaking beautiful!
- 8 mandarin oranges
- 6 navel oranges
- 5 cara cara oranges
- 5 blood oranges
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced (do NOT eat the stalks. yuck)
- 4 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced lengthwise
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (for a vegan option, use agave instead)
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- fennel fronds (the green fringey tops)
- Use a sharp knife to cut the peels off of all of the citrus. Once the peels have been removed, cut the oranges horizontally into coins and arrange on a platter, layering with the thinly sliced fennel.
- Add the avocado slices and shallots to the top of the citrus and fennel layers.
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white champagne vinegar and honey. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the salad and season with additional sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Top with fennel fronds.